Five Tips To Avoid Water Damage
Nothing is better than a cool, refreshing glass of water when you are thirsty, a pool party with friends and family on a summer day, or a nice shower after a hard workout or a weekend camping. On the other side of the same token, nothing is worse than damp basements, funny smells, mold growth, or any of the other unfortunate side effects of water damage. Water can be such a blessing and a curse!
With that in mind, there are many things you can do as a conscientious home owner in Palm Beach County to give yourself the best chance at avoiding it altogether – and actions you can take after you’ve sustained it to clean it up in the most efficient, cost-effective way possible. We at Water Damage Express would like to offer five tips and tricks to help you avoid water damage in the future:
- Pay attention to your water bill. This can give you peace of mind and help you to ensure that you don’t have leaks anywhere that you’re not aware of. A fairly steady water bill or one with predictable changes is a good sign. If you notice an unexpected, dramatic increase, you’re losing more than just water and money, but also time. Investigate right away; you probably have a leak. Quick action will minimize your water damage.
- Inspect your appliances. Replacing pipes or hoses that appear discolored, brittle, or compromised in any way is an investment for the future. Other dangerous signs include unpleasant odors, reduced water pressure, or mold growing on or near the appliance.
- Turn off your water before leaving town, and avoid leaving appliances running while you are away. One of the most common causes of a flooded basement or laundry room is totally avoidable; a load of laundry or something left unattended for a few hours. Constant attention to your appliances is not required, but a watchful eye every now and again while they run can ensure that if there is an issue, you can turn off the machine or fix it before it causes damage to your personal belongings. When you go out of town for a weekend or longer, turning off your water altogether is a great idea; it can prevent disaster and is as quick and simple as the switch of a valve.
- Pay attention to roof damages routinely, especially after storms, and repair things like broken shingles or cracked vents fast. Clear off built-up debris from trees.
- Insulate your pipes. This one is a no-brainer; one of the most common causes of flooding is a frozen pipe. Hardware stores often sell handy heat tape or similar products that make this process easier for you.
These handy tips can help you ensure that water is your blessing, instead of your curse. That being said, sometimes even homes with the best preventative measures fall victim to water damage. If that is you, prompt execution of a restoration plan can minimize the inconvenience, stress, and costs that it causes. Calling a professional is your first step. For water damage emergencies in Palm Beach County, Water Damage Express is your ultimate resource.